Fudan University in Shanghai has a long tradition as an elite institution teaching natural sciences and technology. Founded in 1905, it now has seventeen faculties and 36,000 matriculated students. It was task of the competition to design a campus that could be build in two phases. 2005 saw the opening of the faculty buildings for Computing Science and Microelectronics. The Medical School and an affiliated research institute will be built in a second phase. Courtyards on different levels and a landscape park with water courses running through it form the integrating elements of the campus and a reference to a design theme typical of Shanghai. The new campus with its simple geometric and modular arrangement of the buildings and their clear architectural language reflects the scientific and academic spirit of this self-confident institution of higher learning and forms a worthy frame for it. The excellent teamwork of the clients and public authorities with the architects has produced remarkable results also in another respect: the first stage of the campus was built within little more than two years from planning to completion at very reasonable costs, even according to Chinese standards.