Riyadh Public Transport Program, METRO Urban Design & Streetscape Manual
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 2013 - 2014
- Client: ADA Arriyadh Development Authority
- Timeframe: 2013 - 2014
- Planning Area: 360 ha
- Use: Transport Facilities, Straßenraumgestaltung, Open Space
A comprehensive Transportation Plan for the city of Riyadh has been developed and acknowledged as a historic opportunity to improve the existing road infrastructure and provide a 21st Century integrated public transportation system.
The success of the planned METRO system not only requires acknowledging the importance of a high quality public transportation system but also the provision of quality public realm or streetscape in which the METRO system will operate.
AS+P Albert Speer + Partner GmbH were commissioned by the Arriyadh Development Authority (ADA), with developing and producing an Urban Design & Streetscape Manual (UDM) to provide the chosen design & build consortia with clear guidance to achieve the following goals:
- A clear and robust set of design proposals and exemplars to enable the completion and enhancement of existing 30% designs for the METRO corridors in question.
- A design matrix or 'toolbox' approach which can be selectively
applied through analysis and design, to the various existing street types and land uses.
- A design rationale which is simple yet sophisticated and flexible enough to ensure quality and ease of implementation.